Senior Companion Program
The Senior Companion Program (SCP) offers volunteer opportunities to limited-income persons age 55 and older. Senior Companions primarily serve the frail elderly and persons with disabilities in their home for at least 15 hours a week.
Senior Companion may provide:
- Feeding, dressing, and grooming assistance
- Mobility assistance
- Medication monitoring
- Food preparation, meal planning, and light grocery shopping
- Companionship and peer support
- Light housekeeping and gardening
- Money management assistance
- Help connecting to needed services (food stamps, visiting nurse, supplemental Security Income, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)
- Caregiver respite to prevent breakdown in household capacity
Senior Companions receive 40 hours of pre-service orientation and training, plus four hours of in-service training each month from their sponsoring agencies or volunteer stations.
Senior Companions receive a modest tax-free stipend and assistance with an annual physical exam. While in service, they receive accident, personal, and automobile liability insurance as well as assistance with the cost of transportation.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact Jocelyne Fliger at (850) 921-5554 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Roshanda Dorsey at email@example.com, or apply online: Senior Companion Application.